Construction continues . . . slow but sure.

Well, I’ve been delinquent keeping up with the construction blog, even though we’ve been very persistent working, but only a little more than half-days.  The half-day work has to do with availability of the workers  . . . I tell myself . . . but it is as much that I wear out, especially when it is hot and humid.  We’ve been blessed with some cloudy days that tend to make it cooler, but even then, when you are moving around braces and heavy wood and working, it is easy to get dehydrated, so we are careful not to overdo it.

IMG_3809 IMG_3811 IMG_3820 IMG_3821

So on the 16th of July we continued setting up forms of the ICF for the first floor of the house.  Ben started like the Energizer Bunny and did an entire row of forms while David and I worked on assembling all the door and window “bucks,” the rough-in frames that we will use for framing the wood around the doors and windows.  V-Buck is a PVC material sized to fit around the ICF forms cut to fit the rough-in size of the windows, but we allowed a little extra room so we could add finish wood after the doors and windows get set in place.

After we finished setting up the forms, which was done by the 17th, we started setting up braces, but our brace supplier did not have everything we needed!  Only the vertical members for the braces were fully available, so we left some temporary wood poles in place to shore up the wall against the wind.

 IMG_3835 IMG_3837 IMG_3847 IMG_3855

Unfortunately we did not count on the strength of wind we got on July 19, so the side garage wall partially collapsed and Monday morning, the 20th, we reassembled this small section of the wall and braced it from the outside until the remainder of our braces would come in.

IMG_3866 IMG_3871 IMG_3874 IMG_3883

On the 21st, the remainder of our braces came in, but they were LOooooong ones, not the shorties we were used to using, so we wound up for the next couple days jumping over all of them as we set up walk boards and added “scabs” to all the places of potential “blow-outs.”

IMG_3923 IMG_3930 IMG_3929 IMG_3879

Helix 5-25 handfulHelix 5-25So now we were ready for the concrete pour that would go into the chamber between the layers of the styrofoam.  We did not need rebar in this pour as we decided to use Helix 5-25, a rebar replacement of one inch (2.5cm) long spiral “needles” that engineers say work better than rebar!  Hard for a builder to believe without the engineering report, but that’s what they say these little needles do!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keMDmF_1L7I

One other thing we did while scheduling the pour; if you do not remember the garage floor pour over the “media room,” go back and look at the blogs of 2015/07/02 and 2015/07/08 where I described the shoring and pouring of concrete onto styrofoam forms over this space, which we did on June 22.  The manufacturer’s instruction on the LiteDeck is to let the temporary shoring in place for 21 days, but we played it safe and left it in for almost an entire month, removing it on July 23, while waiting for our our crew to pour the walls, which would not happen until July 28.

IMG_3886I was very cautious pulling down the temporary shoring . . .  letting Ben go in and knock out the wood while I took pictures from the door 😀 !!  But once it appeared it was not going to collapse, I helped remove the remainder of the shoring so that under the garage is now a “media room” that will stand up to an F5 tornado!  By next week, I’ll show pics of the first-floor wall pour and where we are now, waiting for the trusses to come in for the roof.

IMG_3889  IMG_3908  IMG_3911

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.